Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Momma's gonna buy you... the seven volume work of a mockingbird...

Mockingbird, Mockingbird on the tower there,
Why do you sing your song?
So loud, so loud it covers other sounds,
Why do you sing your song (so loud)?
So high, so high way up on your ivory cliff,
Why do you sing your song (so high)?
Alone, alone with no other birds to sing,
Why do you sing your song (alone)?
So long, so long it never seems to end,
Why do you sing your song (so long)?
So long, so long big-songed little bird.
I'm off to catch my breath,
I need to sing myself,
I've been too long in Oxford...

When Dr. Brunner gave us this assignment I was a little worried because poetry is definitely out of my comfort zone. I looked at the sheet he passed out last week with four-word starter ideas and I saw one that included the words "mockingbird" and "music.". It immediately made me think of Richard Taruskin... I think maybe it's the tone he takes in his responses to critics of his views. It also included the word "fence," but seeing as how Taruskin doesn't often sit on the fence with his opinions, I took the liberty and placed him in an inory tower, instead... I don't intend this as a negative view of Richy T. It is intended as a view of my perspective - standing in awe of his work - that come be so overwhelming to dwell on. Anyway, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment